Fact: great teeth make you look like you’ve got money and yellow teeth make you look much older. Remember, on Ten Years Younger they always whiten the teeth! Chemical teeth whitening is much cheaper than it used to be and deals are often available on discount sites like Groupon, but it’s still not cheap and involves all sorts of nasty chemicals, so if you prefer to keep things more natural there’s a lot you can do at home to achieve that big white Carrie Bradshaw smile. Here are a handful of tips for how to get white teeth without spending an arm and a leg.
How To Get White Teeth
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after every meal, or whenever you drink tea, coffee or Coke. (Caffeine is one of the main causes of stains.) Even if you can’t get to a bathroom sink, swill some water around your mouth and swallow.
- Red wine is another major cause of stains, so if that’s your tipple order a glass of water alongside when you’re at a restaurant or bar and take a mouthful from time to time.
- Try to brush your teeth after every meal and consider investing in an electric toothbrush as these remove way more plaque, (which holds stains), than conventional brushes. Keep a spare toothbrush in your office drawer for after lunch. Toothpastes that offer whitening might stop your teeth from getting more stained, though I’ve never found that they actually whiten them.
- Home whitening kits are reasonably priced and do a decent job. A course usually lasts about seven days and you get to wear a boxer’s gum shield too! A great choice is Plus White Speed Whitener. You put the gel in the mouthpiece and keep it in your mouth for 5 minutes. That’s it. One note of caution, it does foam A LOT. Because of this, it is best used in the shower so you can easily spit out the foam. (Trust me, you will need to spit out the foam. It’s a little annoying, but hey, the product works!)
- Try to eat lots of crunchy foods, such as celery, apples and other similar fruits and vegetables – they produce a gentle rubbing action which helps to keep teeth clean.
- As a last resort, chew sugar-free gum after eating to help prevent the plaque from building up on your teeth.
Simple Home Whitening Treatments
If you want a natural alternative to those commercial DIY bleaching kits, here are some options for you:
Banking Soda Paste
Mix three teaspoons of baking soda with a teaspoon of table salt and brush the paste gently onto your teeth and gums twice a week, rinsing thoroughly afterwards. Tastes revolting but removes stubborn stains and brings the sparkle back to your smile. If you can handle this taste, it is by far the simplest way for how to get white teeth. (If you don’t feel like making your own paste, you can buy Arm & Hammer Whitening Booster on Amazon.)
Coconut Oil Rinse
Before you brush your teeth (either in the morning or at night), get one tablespoon of coconut oil and place it in your mouth. It will naturally soften as it is in your mouth. After putting it in your mouth, push, pull and swish it around your mouth and between your teeth. Do this for about 10 minutes, then rinse with water and brush your teeth as normal.
Hydrogen Peroxide Rinse
The cheapest solution of all is to use hydrogen peroxide. Most teeth whitening products have this as a main ingredient, so you know it works. Simply fill the cap of the bottle with fluid and swish in your mouth for about a minute, twice a day. As with the coconut oil rinse, you do this before brushing your teeth. Note that this option is the preferred option over coconut oil simply because of the taste of coconut oil.
[Note this post was updated to include more current information.]
Latest posts by Skint City (see all)
- 15 Easy Money Saving Ideas That Will Save You Thousands - August 10, 2017
- Ten Great Ways to Slash Your Fitness Costs as Well as Your Waistline - March 17, 2015
- How To Get White Teeth Without the Costly Treatments - November 20, 2014